Tuesday, October 26, 2010

When it rains....

They say when it rains, it pours. Well, it's been pouring here these last 10 days or so here in our humble home.

First, John called me on a Friday morning to tell me: "I'm in the ER. I think I broke my fingers." (Thank you for qualifying that dear...) He had been setting up seating in the black box theatre, when the side railing collapsed- on the first two fingers of his right hand. Thankfully it wasn't worse, and while frustrating to lose much of the use of his dominant hand, they seem to be healing nicely. John is learning to adapt.

Sunday, Andrew woke up from his in-church nap, but was listless and didn't move from my lap for the next 2 hours. He also started running a fever. I took him home and pushed the fluids, keeping an eye on the fever. I didn't think it would be anything more than a slight bug. Boy was I wrong! He had no appetite the next day, which is very unusual for him. That afternoon, I found out that hand-foot-and-mouth disease was apparently going around at church. The rash appeared a few hours later, but since there wasn't much I could do for him but make him comfortable, that's what we did.

Sadly, that wasn't enough. The poor guy was hungry, but it hurt to eat. His whole body was inflamed in a rash that- while it didn't seem to itch - mad him totally miserable. He couldn't eat, he couldn't sleep, and after three nights of no sleep for anyone but Timothy (who sleeps like the dead) John took him into the ER in desperation. They informed us that this was a particularly bad case (Great...) and to keep him away from everyone until the rash was completely gone. (Quarrantine... Yay...) They did prescribe some baby ibuprofen for the pain, which seemed to help, but seemed anticlimactic for the cost of an ER visit. Oh well, at least he started sleeping.

On the bright side, John was sent home after a day of work, with instructions to stay home until he saw an Ortho. So, while he was frustrated by the inactivity, he was able to help a lot with comforting Andrew so that we could trade off on sleep.
Andrew recovered (except for some rash, so we couldn't leave the house), but then the next Sunday, Timothy came down with a fever and a wheezing cough. I had a momentary panic that we were starting the cycle all over again, but thankfully, no. He has also recovered, and apparently sometimes kids get a bit of a wheeze during a bad cough. Here's hoping that remains the diagnosis. The doctor wants to check in a few days, but she was hopeful.

It hasn't been all bad rain though. Last Friday, John and I were able to witness a glimpse of the next little miracle in our lives. It should be showing up around the end of May. =)


Troublemakers in Wenatchee said...

It's awesome that you guys are having a third little one. Hoping for a little girl for you.

Denise said...

Very exciting!!! I'm hoping for a girl for you guys. No one should have to endure a house with three boys and a Daddy....it's just too much testosterone. Hand and Foot isn't fun, but it doesn't last too long, thank goodness.

John and Margaret said...

Thanks guys, but I have this feeling... It doesn't matter to us though. As long as it's a healthy baby.

wallymetts said...

won't matter to us either. :)

But it is exciting, and puts the "rain" in perspective.


Jenete said...

Wow sounds like you have had some 'rainy' days! Congrats on baby #3!